Monday, March 10, 2008

Strange Food part 1 - Strawberry Whip



I enjoy concocting new food recipes based on whatever dietary goals/experiments I am currently following.

Strawberry Whip (also referred to as Strawberry Ice Cream)
Tools: Food processor (may work with a blender?), measuring cup
Ingredients:
2 C Frozen strawberries (bought in big bag at COSTCO) (also fun to add other berries)
12 raw walnut halves (also COSTCO)
1 scoop Vanilla protein powder (I prefer Designer Whey brand)
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract (COSTCO)
3 sweetener packets (This is optional, If I use it, I like Stevia, alternatives: Splenda, Sugar, etc)
1/4 cup milk (This is also optional, I prefer unsweetened almond milk)
1 cup of water (DO NOT ADD YET)

INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Put all ingredients in the Food Processor EXCEPT the water
2) Add a small amount of water and start blending
3) Stop, break up any clumps, Start blending again
4) Add another small amount of water (minimize water in favor of manually breaking up clumps)
5) Repeat steps 3 an 4, don't be in a rush to put in all the water or it will be soupy instead of fluffy
6) Finished product should be thick and fluffy. If its soupy, no worries, still tastes good.

Notes:
My objective of this is to make an enjoyable snack that approximately follows Zone ratios (40-30-30), is filling, produces a relatively low glycemic response, and is mostly natural. This makes a huge bowl of yummy food but it is only approximately calorically equal to a ZONE PERFECT bar. For reference, I generally shoot for 21g protein (protein powder), 27g carb (strawberry, almond milk, etc), and 9g fat (walnuts). At one time I was obsessed with exact zone ratios, I have moved away from this.

No comments: